Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Daisies

Knowing what you are seeing and SEEING what you are seeing...

I have gotten back to painting and I am currently working on a painting of daisies, inspired by a bouquet I picked, arranged in a Czech glass vase given to me by my in-laws - now deceased. I like the expressive lines of the stems, the variety of forms, the ambiguity of the green glass ribbon/daisy stems, the way the round brown/amber orb of the vase is echoed in the daisy centers (I discovered a new appreciation of the daisy centers), and I especially liked the lighting effects. I also saw the painting as a color challenge, to make sense of the infinite variety in the whites.
Here is my initial underpainting sketch in burnt sienna.
Here is the work after a color session.
Here I have given the background an amber glaze I mixed using cadmium orange among others paints - I did not have a tube of amber!
Here I have further refined color and form, line and balance.
I think I am almost done!

No comments:

Post a Comment