Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Boston Skyline Painting

Today I assembled the 50" square stretcher strips (I bought them at the excellent art supply store in Pittsfield Miller Supply Company, Inc.  see also Fredrix Heavy Duty) and stretched the canvas. The DU table out of the garage, I spread out a clean tarp on the floor, and worked my way around the piece, using the staple gun, regularly checking for square and pulling with all my might to keep ripples away. I malleted in the stretcher keys and carried the canvas to my easel in the greenhouse. It barely fit! I had to remove the upper brace and rotate it. The top of the canvas leans against the gripper ledge, just barely. I will have to figure out a way to secure it - I will probably use wire and a couple of tacks.
I found some more images on the web, especially interested in finding a better view of 111 Huntington Avenue.
I printed out my reference images and gridded out the primary design to block out on the canvas.
I am now mentally processing all the elements of the composition and feeling my way into an approach. I plan to put paint to canvas today!

No comments:

Post a Comment