Monday, June 21, 2010

Vacation Mode

I have been putting art and design on the back burner during these busy days of summer, spending a lot of time in the garden and being a hostess to visitors. Cleaning out clutter and going through my wardrobe have also kept me on my toes. It feels like I am on vacation even though I am working hard every day. Below is a mess of toys I dug out of the cellar to clean, sort and either throw away or save. I got rid of about 89.999 percent, with the ultimate cooperation of Milos. How can you throw away a Corgi car or a Tonka truck, even though it shows wear and tear? Or Duplos, Omagles, Hot Wheels or Ninja Turtle action figures? Decisions and quandries. I also tackled other areas of accumulation and clutter, such as cardboard boxes, bags and tarps. I had no idea how many tarps Milos has collected until I gathered them all into a pile. The pile was as tall as I am.
The suitcase below was a no brainer - torn, worn, and ripped up inside. The photo will be the souvenir.
I have guidelines to inform my good riddance activities:
1. Junk takes up valuable real estate, as do empty boxes, plastic and brown paper bags and cardboard. Out!
2. The only difference between us and a "white trash" family is that our junk is inside the house and not scattered in piles in the yard
3. It costs us nothing today to recycle and throw away, but I am sure the day will come when we will have to pay for garbage disposal. Let's save money by divesting ourselves of trash while it is still free. Let's get paid for those returnables now, while the dollar still is worth something.
4. Cardboard and empty cardboard boxes all go into Milos's garage. If he wants to save them, he gets to have them.

No comments:

Post a Comment