Friday, May 24, 2013

Remembering Camp Kehonka

On my mother's side of the family there were five sisters, all of whom went to Camp Kehonka in Wolfeboro, New Hampshire. Keeping with tradition, my mother sent my sister and me to the camp too, though we each only went one summer - a month at that - whereas my mother had gone for entire summers - in the 30's and 40's.

While putting together family reminiscences I searched on the web for images. The following are a few I found that particularly triggered memories of the place for me, though I only attended one summer.

This photo is probably from before my time but the camp still looked exactly like this.
Cultural enrichment activities were part of the fun.
We all lived in tents. 
The blue goose was a  mascot.
One week my tent got  a goose to display for being the cleanest.
I first saw handweaving at Kehonka.
I used an inkle loom to make a belt.
There was a small building by the lake where we could make silver jewelry.
Making a bracelet was a rite of passage in the shop.


No comments:

Post a Comment