Friday, October 5, 2012

Child's Red Shaker Cape

I recently created this cape.  A similar short cape hangs in the children's retiring room in the Brick Dwelling at Hancock Shaker Village (photo below taken by a student lizzie at HSV on a field trip). I have been wanting to make a similar one and was keeping my eye out for a good piece of red wool.  This is a medium weight Italian twill I found from fashionfabrics.com. I washed it on the gentle setting with Woolite and warm water, then dried it on low heat until not quite dry. It fluffed up and gained a more handwoven look, but did not shrink at all. What a fabric! I made the pattern, sewed it up, and it is now for sale in the gift shop at Hancock Shaker Village.
photos by lizzie: note red cape 
   see her blog: http://wanderingwrites.com/tag/hancock-shaker-village/
close up

front view

back view
Shaker inspiration
My other Italian wool cloak for sale in the HSV Gift Shop

1 comment:

  1. There is one child's cape for sale at Hancock Shaker Village. I make my own patterns - the one for the cape is proprietary and it is not for sale. Anyone interested in the pattern could conceivably purchase the cape from HSV and reverse engineer it.

    ReplyDelete